Follow Me on Pinterest The Cupcake Files: Chicken fajita penne pasta

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chicken fajita penne pasta

 This is delicious and the best of both worlds.  I love fajitas and I love pasta, so I combined the two and this is what I came up with!  I hope you try it and love it as much as I do.  Enjoy!

1 box of penne pasta
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1.5 packets of fajita seasonings (or taco seasoning)
1 8 ounce block cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 green, 1 orange pepper, chopped
1 can diced green chiles
1 cup pasta water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips (can also use streak or shrimp)
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Once pasta is cooked, reserve 1 cup of pasta water, set aside.  In a large skillet, heat 2 table spoons of olive oil and cook chicken, steak or shrimp. Remove from pan and set aside.  In the same pan add 2 table spoons of olive oil and add onions, tomatoes, garlic, green chiles, and peppers, saute on medium heat for 4 minutes or until veggies are cooked.  Add 1 cup of pasta water and fajita seasonings.  Stir well.  Add cream cheese. cook for 3 minutes stirring to break up cream cheese, if you need to add a little more water you can do so.
add sour cream and stir.  Add in pasta and meat and toss until pasta and chicken are coated with the sauce.  Add in Monterrey Jack Cheese and cilantro, give one last toss.

I like to set all kinds of toppings out when I serve this, so people can "build" their own pastas.  Some things I will set out...
sliced black olives
diced tomatoes
Jalapenos
Shredded cheeses
Sour Cream
crushed tortilla chips
Salsa
Extra chopped cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment