Follow Me on Pinterest The Cupcake Files: Easy and quick cake decorating

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Easy and quick cake decorating

The next few days I am going to post easy and quick ways to decorate a cake or cupcakes.  I will also include some quick fondant/gumpaste decorations! This is my first post in that series, I hope you enjoy it!

This is an 8inch double layer lemon cake with a strawberry cream cheese filling.  I will post the recipe soon.

Once your cake is baked and completely cooled, go ahead and level it, fill it and put a nice crumb coat on it. *TIP** to keep my cake board from sliding around as I ice a cake, I take a small square of non slip shelf liner and slip it under the cake board*



In a 20 inch pastry bag fitted with a Wilton #21 tip, fill with your buttercream icing that you have colored with gel food coloring.
 Starting at the bottom of your cake and working your way around, create a swirling motion with the piping bag.  Start in the center and swirl your way out.  You may want to practice on a plate a few times until you get the hang of it.
Decorating this cake took me about 15 minutes once I had the crumb coat finished.  If you plan on taking this cake somewhere, I suggest freezing if for 30-45 minutes, to allow the icing to hardened so it doesn't smear or smudge during transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment